Last Minute Moving Tips
There is no way to sugarcoat it – moving is a lot of work, and sometimes things happen, and you have to move quickly. Wondering how to move on short notice? These last-minute moving tips can help you if you find yourself having to pack up and move in a day.
If you find you have to move on short notice, the main thing is to stay calm and focus on the job at hand. Get all the supplies you need, such as boxes, tape, a vehicle to transport your things and the help of some friends. Label all boxes and work quickly, but safely.
How to pack for a move in one day
- Prepare ahead of time – Prepping ahead of time is essential to a fast move. Acquire all packing supplies needed ahead of time so you’re not scrambling around on the day you move. Have a plan and stick to it. Whether that’s dividing the work, or starting with bedrooms, then moving to the kitchen.
- Pack some things beforehand if possible – If you have any time at all before you move, try and pack up as much as possible. This will save you time on your actual moving day and can help to reduce your worry levels. Don’t worry about sorting your things though, just get them packed up!
- Recruit some friends – A true friend is someone that helps you move. Contact as many friends as you can and ask for their assistance on moving day. The more the merrier! If any of them drive a truck, ask if it’s okay if they use it to transport some of your belongings. Also, make sure you supply some food and cold drinks after, and offer gas money if you can.
- Pack up one room at a time – Don’t fall into the trap of starting jobs without completing them. Try packing one room up at a time to help you stay on task. This will also make you feel more accomplished as the house starts to empty.
- Use this time to get rid of things you don’t need – Have some boxes and bags ready to purge things that you don’t need. The less “stuff” you take to your new home the better. Some charities will be happy to come pick up any donations you have, which can save you space within your moving vehicles.
- Have plenty of moving supplies and don’t lose them – Make sure you have an abundance of boxes, tape and markers, and that they are accessible for anyone helping. Trips to the store for more supplies can halt the flow of the move and take up valuable time.
- Use garbage bags – They might not be the classiest of moving options, but garbage bags are a wonderful way to transport items. Clothes, bedding and towels can all be stuffed into bags quite easily. They also fit well in between bigger items to stop them from moving around while on route to your new place.
- Don’t skimp on the labelling – Although you’re in a rush, take the time to properly write the contents of each box or bag on the side and top of it. Make sure the writing is legible and boldly written. This will help you and your helpers know where things go at the new place.
Checklist for a one day move
Although it may seem like an uphill battle, moving in one day can be done, as long as you adhere to a few simple tips, especially if you are up against a really short and strict deadline:
- Have a plan and stick to it
- Have all the supplies you need
- Focus on packing now and leave sorting for the new place
- Get as much help as possible
- Stay focused
- Be efficient, but don’t stress yourself out.
If you have a quick move ahead and are looking for help, contact the moving and storage experts at 10 Mini Storage. We have the supplies you need and even more last-minute moving tips to help get your stuff where it needs to go.
 Smith, Page. How to Pack Everything For Your Move in One Day. Sparefoot. March 2, 20187. Available online https://www.sparefoot.com/self-storage/blog/17170-how-to-pack-in-one-day/.